The Illinois House of Representatives Office of the Minority Leader is seeking a highly motivated and positive individual to work alongside State Representatives in their day-to-day office management located in their Springfield, IL office. This exciting opportunity will allow the selected candidate to assist with the legislative process, become familiar and comfortable addressing community issues, and work with a variety of community members and leaders. Ideal candidates will be able to show a willingness to be a part of a team atmosphere, work independently when appropriate, travel to district offices once a month during non-session months may be required, and demonstrate excellent communication skills with a variety of community stakeholders.
Location: Springfield, Illinois
- Ensure up-to-date contact information for member and office communications.
- Coordinate the receipt, screening, and routing of communications to and from members; maintain records and provide reports on constituent communications; and become proficient in the use of any constituent data software utilized by the office.
- Maintain member schedule and monitor progress of daily/weekly/monthly schedule.
- Coordinate office legislative activities by gathering and submitting materials for the preparation of bills, amendments, resolutions, and certificates of recognition, providing prompt notification of status updates when needed; and assisting with bill/resolution sponsorship requests.
- Keep organized records for the member’s sponsored legislative measures, committee assignments, and other legislative interests.
- Become proficient in specialized websites used by the General Assembly for obtaining information on legislative measures and schedules, as well as producing a variety of useful reports on legislative measures.
- Verify accurate documents and communications through careful proof reading of correspondence, resolutions, certificates of recognition, and other items distributed by the office.
- Ensure timely completion of a variety of daily office tasks, such as placing orders for supplies, processing vouchers for district office expenses, scheduling meetings, making member travel arrangements, arranging constituent and group visits to Springfield, and responding to constituent inquires and requests.
- Confirm communication and coordination of work with district office staff, and maintain familiarity with current issues in the legislative district. District assistance might also include travel to district office, outreach to community groups and leaders, monitoring community calendars and social media for events, and producing congratulatory mailings and certificates of recognition.
- Monitor the status of the State’s General Revenue Fund payment cycle when requested.
- Working knowledge of office equipment including printers, copiers, scanners, and fax machines
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Excel and MS Word, in particular)
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Ability to conform to work hours as required by session calendar
This full-time position offers expansive State of Illinois benefits:
- Defined benefit pension plan with immediate service credit in the State Employee Retirement System
- Multiple health plan options for health, dental, vision and life insurance benefits
- Deferred Compensation Program
- Health Savings Accounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Wellness Programs
- Vacation and Sick Days
- Flexible Work Schedule
Typical work hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm when the House of Representatives is not in session, hours may be extended on session days.
Use the form below to inquire about the position and upload your resume:
Submit Inquiry and Resume